Patient and Family Center
Copyright 2013 The Children’s Heart Clinic. All Rights Reserved.
At the Children's Heart Clinic, we understand the stress involved in bringing your child in for the first time or after being a part of our family for several years. Our goal is to make you feel as comfortable as possible while providing you with the best care in the Upper Midwest. Your cardiologist will discuss all test results with you and go over any questions you may have prior to leaving our facility.
What can you expect at your first appointment?
- As a new patient you can expect to be in our clinic for approximately 2 1/2 hours
- You will see your Pediatric Cardiologist for an evaluation, discuss any symptoms your child may be having and to go over any previous testing.
- It is possible that your cardiologist will review your previous records and order an echocardiogram to complete your evaluation. In order to save you time, this may be completed prior to seeing your cardiologist on your scheduled appointment day.
- If you are coming to see us due to an abnormal x-ray, please bring your x-rays with you to the appointment.
- Our goal is to see you at your scheduled appointment time! Please be aware that emergencies do arise during clinic hours and may cause a delay in our schedule.
What kind of testing do we offer in our clinic and what is involved in each test?
- Electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG): This five minute test provides a graphical recording of the patient's heartbeat. The nurse will apply stickers to the patients arms, legs and chest and then clips will be attached to the stickers. Please do not apply lotion on the day of the appointment, as this may cause the stickers to slide off. A print-out of the recording will be reviewed by the physician. *Note:Girls wear a gown for this test and are not exposed.
- Chest X-rays: This test takes no longer than 5 minutes. *Note: Girls wear a gown for this test and are not exposed.
- Echocardiogram (Echo): An echo, or cardiac ultrasound, produces a streaming video of your childs heart. Our echo technician (sonographer) places warm gel on your childs chest and then uses a special microphone to get the images on their screen. Parents may stay with their child for this test. While the test is being performed, you and your child can watch the ultrasound with your technitian or watch a movie from our selection. *Note: Girls wear a gown for this test and are not exposed.
- You can assure your child- None of the testing in our clinic will cause them pain!
Your cardiologist will see you and your child after some or all of these tests are performed. Test results will be given to you and you will have the opportunity to discuss any concerns you may have. After your clinic visit a letter detailing the visit and test results will be sent to your Referring/Primary Doctor.
Tip: Boys and Girls may wear shirts that open in the front with buttons for ease of exam and tests. Otherwise, we will offer our female patients a gown to wear.